IP research is the first and most critical step in receiving a patent.
Patentest Inc offers leading web application based IP research services to inventors, law firms and corporates.
Patentest operates in Europe and the US, providing unique web application services in different languages, out of different web domains and through a wide network of partners.
As Patentest’s business and partner network grew extensively, the company needed a robust and scalable architecture and deployment to replace its existing web application deployment and support its expanding user base.
The Patentest web application is a complex server technology, combining proprietary web services of different web technologies. The technology also includes integration with leading CRM web applications and IP repository APIs.
The Company’s main challenges were to support its complex technology while implementing a secure, scalable and robust architecture.
It was also extremely important to provide a solution, able to serve users out of different web domains, while utilizing the same service infrastructure.
Patentest partnered with Wiseman Software to implement its web application over cloud infrastructure.
Following a detailed analysis of Patentest’s infrastructure requirements, Wiseman Software recommended using the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud infrastructure for the implementation of Patentest’s complex web application.
Amazon Web Service (AWS) were chosen because of their cloud infrastructure maturity; scaling capabilities; rich set of data repository services and intrinsic support for security at all architecture levels.
The complete implementation solution was crafted based upon Wiseman Software’s Cloud-First development methodology. Based upon the methodology key elements, AWS cloud infrastructure services were chosen wherever appropriate.
Click to Enlarge
Figure 1 – Schematic architecture and design of Patentest’s web application over AWS cloud services infrastructure
The Patentest web application offers a wide range of IP research and patent communication services. These are implemented over different platforms – especially PHP on Apache HTTP server and Java™ on Tomcat.
A key necessity in the required solution was to provide a scalable and robust solution while utilizing the computational resources to the maximum.
In order to support this set of requirements, Wiseman Software designed and implemented the cloud architecture solution built over several AWS services as described below.
The different web domains served by the web application are managed using AWS Route 53 service and each domain is represented by an instance of AWS ELB load balancer.
A group of AWS EC2 instances are deployed as the service front-end web-servers, installed with Apache HTTP server (for PHP) and Tomcat (for Java™).
In order to maximize usage of cloud resources, each EC2 web server is joined into all the load balancers. The application layer on the web server identifies the requested web domain, ensuring the appropriate processing and output.
The main system database resides on AWS RDS MySQL deployment and is configured for robustness and fault tolerance, as a multi-zone deployment.
Secured buckets are used over AWS S3 for storing and streaming research findings.
The new cloud infrastructure deployment improved Patentest’s web application response performance and uptime significantly.
Patentest is now in a position where it can serve a significant user load, scale easily when required, and able to provide complex integration capabilities to its partner network.
As a result of Patentest’s web application performance improvement and client satisfaction, Wiseman Software was selected as implementor for its innovative and ambitious, next-generation IP research web application.
Wiseman Software is a boutique software solution provider, specializing in software architecture, complex web application development and cloud computing implementations.
Wiseman Software provides cloud development and consulting services to software companies looking to implement their technology over the cloud.
Whether it is a complex, high availability cloud infrastructure solution or a smaller cloud migration or development project, Wiseman Software delivers software projects on time, supporting clients in their time-to-market considerations.
Patentest Inc is a leading IP research services company.
Patentest has extensive experience identifying potential prior art, which may prevent patent registrations from being approved and reduce the chances of receiving a patent for a specific invention.
The Company serves tens of thousands of satisfied private and corporate customers, in the US and Europe based on its “No find No fee” policy. The company has been operating since 2004 and is part of the NewTone Group.
* Oracle, Java, J2EE, J2ME and MySQL are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
* Amazon Web Services, the "Powered by Amazon Web Services" logo, AWS, Amazon Elastic Beanstalk, Amazon Route53, Amazon CloudFront, Amazon S3, Amazon RDS, Amazon SWF, Amazon SimpleDB, Amazon SQS, Amazon SNS, Amazon Elasticache, Amazon EC2, are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries.
* Youtube, Google App Engine and Google Drive are trademarks or distinctive brand features of Google Inc.
* Apache ActiveMQ, ActiveMQ, Apache, Tomcat, Apache Tomcat are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation.
* IBM and WebSphere are trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation, registered in many jurisdictions worldwide.
* SpringSource, Cloud Foundry, RabbitMQ are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions.
* Hibernate is a registered trademark of Red Hat, Inc.
* Adobe, the Adobe logo, Adobe Flash, Adobe Flex, Adobe Flash Builder, Adobe Flash, Adobe Flash Professional, Adobe AIR, Adobe Media Server are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
* Zend, Zend Technologies, Zend Framework, Zend.com, Zend Server, and Zend Studio, and associated logos and icons, are trademarks of Zend Technologies, Inc. and may be registered in certain jurisdictions.
* Microsoft, Windows, Visual C#, and Visual C++, DirectShow, Microsoft .NET, MFC, ActiveX, COM, ATL, Direct3D, DirectX, Win32, Internet Explorer, IIS, MSSQL, ASP, ASP.Net, GDI, GDI+, WMV and ActiveDirectory are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S.A. and/or other countries/regions.
* All trademarks and registered trademarks appearing on wisemansoftware.com are the property of their respective owners.